How to get an Ely Public Library Card
The Ely Public Library offers library cards to all residents of the state of Iowa!
Getting your library card is easy! Just stop in and let the librarian know that you need a card.
We will need to see a photo ID, proof of address, as well as have you complete a short application form
that will collect your phone number, address and email information. It is up to the parents if they wish
their children to have their own card, or if they would rather have a family library card.
If the children are to have their own card, we will need a parent's signature on the application form.
Download an application - or stop in and fill one out.
Using your library card :
- You can use your library card to check out books, movies, games, seeds and magazines.
- Movies are loaned out for one week and all other materials are loaned out for three weeks.
- There is a loan limit of 5 movies and 50 books/magazines per account.
- Items can be returned at the front desk during our open hours or at our drop box located in the entryway if the library is closed.
- As long as materials are not on hold for another patron, they can be renewed. This can be done in person, by phone (848-7616), or through your account online by visiting our catalog available at www.ely.lib.ia.us.
- Books, audio books and magazines accrue a $.15 late fee per item per day they are late. DVDs and games accrue a $1.00 late fee per item per day they are late.
- If there is an item that we do not have in our collection that you are interested in, please let us know. It may be one that we need to order or have ordered and it's on the way.
- Another option for obtaining materials is to do an Inter-Library Loan (ILL). This is where we can request materials from other libraries and have them sent here to us for a nominal fee. Please see our ILL section or contact us if you have questions about ILL.
- We also can reserve an item for you if it is checked out. Please speak with the librarian on duty, and she/he will get a hold placed on that item under your account. When the item is returned, you will be notified with a phone call from one of the librarians.