Seed Lending Library
About Us: The Ely Seed Library was founded in March of 2012 to promote the sharing of open-pollinated seeds within the Eastern Iowa community.
Our Mission: Our mission is to build our community through the sharing of open pollinated seeds, provide education on seed saving techniques, and create a forum for discourse on the relevancy of local food systems to our community.
How it works: Seeds are borrowed from the library at the beginning of the season, grown out, and a portion of the new crop of seeds can be returned to the library for other community members to use the following year. Stop by the Ely Public Library to get started.
Donations: The success of the Ely Seed Library depends on contributions and support from individuals, organizations, and businesses. Donations made to the Ely Public Library are tax deductible. Donations can be mailed to or dropped off at:
Ely Public Library, Attn: Seed Library; P.O. Box 249: 1595 Dows St.: Ely, IA 52227
Our current needs: * Heirloom seeds labeled with as much information as possible (opened packs are fine). *Financial contributions for supplies, postage, staffing, reference books, and marketing expenses.
Sponsors: The Ely Seed Library would like to thank our generous sponsors who have made this project possible:
· High Mowing Seeds www.highmowingseeds.com
· University of Iowa Community Credit Union www.uiccu.org
· Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds www.rareseeds.com
· Diane’s Flower Seeds www.dianeseeds.com
· Rapid Reproductions of Cedar Rapids www.rapidsrepro.com/
· Sandhill Preservation www.sandhillpreservation.com
· Territorial Seeds www.territorialseed.com/
· Seed Savers Exchange in Decorah www.seedsavers.org/
· Sustainable Seed Co. http://sustainableseedco.com/heirloom-vegetable-seeds/
· We are part of the Ely Public Library
· Sister seed libraries including Richmond Grows which have provided valuable free materials and information on starting a seed library.
Contact the Ely Seed Library at firstname.lastname@example.org and look for us on Facebook and at http://elyfarmersmarket.blogspot.com/.