Who are Friends of the Ely Public Library?
People just like you! The Friends of the Ely Public Library is a group of men and women who believe in the importance of a strong community library. The Friends organization strives to support the library by raising funds to support programming, purchasing of books and other materials, and we also advocate for the Ely Public Library.
What do Friends do?
The Friends meet the second Wednesday evening of each month at 7:30 pm. We discuss many things during our meetings and invite you to attend. The Friends currently have the following fundraising events underway:
- Book Bags ($5.00 each)
- Travel Mugs ($5.00 each with free refills on coffee when you bring your mug in)
- The Coffee Corner (open on Saturdays and serving coffee and other goodies)
- The Used Book Shelf ($0.50 for paperback and $1.00 for hardcover books)
- Concessions (popcorn/snacks for sale during our movies and other times)
- Annual Used Book Sale (First Saturday in May during the Ely City Wide Garage Sales)
- Yearly Book Lover's Calendars Sales
What benefits are there to being a Friend?
By being a Friend you will receive:
- The personal satisfaction of supporting your library and all the benefits the library brings to your community
- Possible leadership skills as a board or committee member, if interested
- Opportunities to socialize with people in your community and share your interest in reading
- A welcome packet containing a coupon for a free goodie available at The Coffee Corner, and a coup for a free book of your choice at The Used Book Shelf
- Opportunity to attend the Annual Book Sale on Member's Night
- Good Friends and beyond will also receive a free refillable travel coffee mug
How do I become a Friend?
The Ely Public Library Friends group is currently looking for some good friends. The purpose of this group is to promote and support the library in a variety of ways. Your help will enable us to purchase additional books and equipment for the library. The Friends group also sponsors some wonderful programming for the library, like the Halloween Party and Gingerbread House making program. They are looking for officers to be on the Friends Board and volunteers to help with monthly events. This group is a valuable resource for our library so if you have a few hours a month to spare, please consider joining the friends group. They meet once a month at the library. Call the library at 848-7616 if you would like to join or have questions. Thank you.